Friday 3 September 2010

Meg's First Cake! Works in Progress :D

Today, I made my very first cake! How exciting :D

I made it to the basic recipe of a Victoria sponge, but for the decoration I made it up myself so I'm so so happy with how it came out! Tomorrow is when it will be tasted properly (We've had the offcuts and it was very nice but havent tried the proper finished cake yet!) so I can only hope it tastes as nice as it looks :D

There are obviously some rough patches - this is a first attempt so far from perfect! but gosh, so fun! Very tiring though, it took me an hour to prep and cook this, and TWO WHOLE HOURS to decorate it! So tired right now haha!.

Enjoy!

You can see the final thing here: http://imaeko.blogspot.com/2010/09/megs-first-cake-finished-thing.html


Cake is in the oven! :D


Cakes out of the oven! Looking VERY delicious and edible (and I can vouch for it smelling divine too!), but a little on the uneven side!


So I evened it out with the bread knife... :-)

I prepper some buttercream (1 part margerine to 2 parts icing sugar) which tasted very nice when I tried it! ;-)

I sliced the cake in two to prepare it for filling.

Here's the filling! Lightly heated some jam to make it spread better, and put one filling on each layer.

Here's how I prepared the lilies. Cut a heart shape for the petal (its the top of the heart that you "seal" up), and a small ball for the centre. I coloured the ball with yellow food colouring (brushed on and smushed in by my own fair hand. It got a bit sticky so I had to add extra dustings of icing sugar :D )

The finished decorations! I added food colouring to the bow in the same way as the lilies. The lilies look very pretty but I know I can do a much neater job!

Time to sandwich together the two halves of the cake!

Here I rolled out ready to roll fondant icing and laid it over the cake, smoothing it fown the sides and triming the excess (this is where I require most practice out of everything methinks! Its hard!!)

And, apart from adding the decorations on top (final pictures posted seperately here: http://imaeko.blogspot.com/2010/09/megs-first-cake-finished-thing.html) thats it!

No comments: