Friday 29 October 2010

Silver Clay Exploits: Part 1

Internet Shopping

So, I excitedly ordered myself some silver clay from the internet, and couldn't wait to begin my experimentations into creating wonderful works! I have seen some stunning metal clay works on DeviantART, and wow oh wow, do I want in on that! I've always wanted to work with metal and heat and never realised that metal clays even existed!


Now, this is my first try with metal clay, and since I'm not sure what its like, and whether I'll truly enjoy it, I bought the minimum amount of things I could, really, my logic being that I should spend a lot of money on something I will never do again.

So, for the sum of £63.50 I purchased the following:
1. 1 x Gas Hob Firing Mesh - With Cover £6.95
2. 1 x Art Clay Silver 650 Slow Dry Clay - 20gm £28.50
3. 1 x Art Clay Silver 650 Syringe - 1 tip - 10gm £19.95
4. 1 x 3M Polishing Paper - Blue - 9 Micron £1.20
5. 1 x Modelling Knife £2.95
6. 1 x Stainless Steel Brush - Long Bristles £3.95

The artclay itself was by far the most expensive, surprisingly so, but, upon receiving my package in the post, my initital thoughts were overwhelming disappointment.... As you can see below, yes I have an array of new tools to use (which will complement my super sculpey tools from my polymer clay work) which will be very useful but, the silver was very disappointing.

As you can see in the picture below, which shows the 20g portion of silver clay next to my thumb, the portion of silver you get is absolutely miniscule.... It made me very worried to think that I might not be able to get much out of it in terms of seperate pieces (and also quite upset at the need to have to spent *so* much money to get so little!) . But, I will endeavour to make the most economic use of it that I can and see how far I can stretch it!



That's all for now, but stay tuned! Next time, I'll be finalising my designs and delving into my silver clay...!

No comments: